tirsdag den 10. marts 2009

Synthpop and alternative rock at its best



Love love love Depeche Mode! My english teacher once decided to analyze and interpretate some songs of DM, instead of the usual stuff (unfortunately we didn't skip Shakespeare ;-)). I never paid them attention before this. But then I thought "Hey this stuff is actually great"! The dark lyrics about addiction, rehabilitation, suicide, cheating on girlfriends etc. captured me. But it wasn't until I met Shai I began to really appreciate them. When I first met him, he played Enjoy the Silence all the time. It kind of said how we felt. It's still one of my favorites songs. Probably the group's most well-known song, it's an amazing number that captures not only Martin Gore's ear for a melody and lyric (he is the chief songwriter) and David Gahan's ability to sing, but Alan Wilder and Flood's success as an arranging team.
The band was formed in 1980 in Basildon, Essex. The original line up was different than the one today. It was Gahan who suggested the name Depeche Mode after he came across the French fashion magazine Dépêche-mode. Since then, the band has continued to explore new musical directions, and their sound has remained immensely diverse. According to EMI, Depeche Mode has sold over 75 million albums worldwide, as part of total worldwide record sales in excess of 100 million. They have released 12 studio albums, 46 singles, four greatest hits compilations, live recordings..! Indeed they are productive. Their newest album "Sounds of the Universe" will be released on the 20'Th of April, 2009. The first single "Wrong" was premiered at the Echo Awards in Germany on February 21.
I've got tickets to their concert in Copenhagen on June the 30'Th!!! I can't wait. I might be lucky to see them in Israel as well, since my boyfriend has tickets to the concert there. Uh oh! Stay tuned!


1 kommentar:

  1. Depeche Mode are gods! Thank you for posting.

    SvarSlet

Comments make my day!